Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Everyone

Bye-Bye Bo: Astros Release Bo Porter and Bench Coach Dave Trembley
So, Labor Day is about rewarding the workers of the US with a paid holiday for a years worth of work... Generally, the weather is still nice, people enjoy the "end" of summer (you know, that season that starts with Memorial Day). Most people enjoy the day off. But, there's a big difference between getting one day off and being fired or dismissed from your job on Labor Day. Well, that's what happened to the manager of my favorite baseball team, the Houston Astros. Bo Porter, former manager of the Astros (managed for about 300 games or almost 2 seasons) was released by the team yesterday, only days after reports rumored that he and the front office (especially General Manager, Jeff Luhnow) were at odds with one another. I don't have all the facts, so I can't really make a very informed opinion, even though I do follow the Astros quite closely. Did Porter have some on-field snafus? Yes. Did he make some ridiculous mistakes? Yes. Was he the best man for the job at the time? Probably. Had Jeff Luhnow planned on getting rid of Porter as the Astros began to turn the corner and become a viable and competitive franchise? Who knows,but it sure seems that way right now.
Yeah, Bo. My thoughts exactly... on Labor Day? C'mon man!

I have mixed emotions about the entire thing. However, the lesson here (for me and the kids in my class) is that I can't allow my emotions to cloud my judgment on the issue. There's a lot I don't know (and a lot I'll never know) and I need to be sure that I'm clear on the issues before I publicly criticize anything or anyone involved in the story...a search for a new coach is underway. From bench coaches for other teams, to minor league managers, to Astros' Legends, I'm excited to see who will lead this young, talented team in the future.


Modern World History
  • Use evidence to substantiate a claim. 
  • Identify and label major landmarks (physical and political) of the Mediterranean Region on a map. 

    AP World History


    Quick-write #:

    No warm-up. 

    Objectives:
    • Show me what you learned over the course of Unit 1.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment