Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Everyone

Some of the smartest kids in the world (according to standardized test scores) use their cell phones in class, talk while the teacher is talking, sleep during lectures, and generally act in ways we think to be disrespectful... Yes, just like some of you. How do they do it and still score way higher than everyone one else on those exams? Well, there are many aspects to consider as we try to answer this question, but one thing is for sure... there's a lot more schooling in South Korea than there is here in the US. I'm not making this stuff up. Click here, and here, and here, and here to look at some articles and stories.

I'll save most of my judgment and criticism (of everyone) on this, but I would encourage you (my students) to think about what this means for you, as American students who attend school for 6.5 hours a day instead of the Korean 14-15. If they use their cell phone or sleep for 1 hour during school it may indeed have less of an impact than if you or I are off topic for the same amount of time. I'll be honest, the 15 hour school day sounds like something from a horror film. I'd hate that. It seems, on the surface, to be inefficient. Let's be efficient with our 6.5 hours together and focus on our learning. It really is the most important thing we are doing here (notice I didn't say memorizing facts about Napoleon and his Grand Army was important). Learning, about others, ourselves, how to problem solve and use evidence to make decisions. Those are skills you need. Forever. They are on the test of life.

AP Exam Help
Hey kids, if you click here you can see a list of tips for the AP Exam as given by people other than me... you know, because if I say it then I'm just saying it, but if the internet says it then it must be true.

Modern World History


Quick-write #29:




Objectives:
  • Use evidence to develop and substantiate a claim.

    AP World History

    Quick-write #22:






    Objectives:
    • Analyze the motives ad beliefs present in 19th century literature.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment