Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Just Because I'm Not There Doesn't Mean I Don't Care

Happy Last Day of School

The end of the year is, at least for me, a time of mixed emotions. I’m always relieved when I don’t have to plan another lesson for a few weeks, or grade another essay, or look at another project rubric. I’m sad to see the relationships that many of us have built go walking out the door. I’m proud of the people many of you have become during our 10 months together. Like any relationship, we’ve had our ups and downs. Sometimes I’ve wanted to strangle each of you (some of you more than others). I’m sure some of you feel the same way about me. However, no matter how I have felt about you. No matter if I’m sad to see you go, or if I will enjoy seeing you walk away (even if it’s with a miracle “D-“), I am proud of you. You (all of you, at least once) have made me laugh. All of you have caused me to question my decision to become a teacher. All of you have redirected my focus at least once. On my worst days, some of you have given me a push to be the teacher I should be. Without knowing it, you are the fuel that I need. You are the inspiration for lessons and lectures. You will be the subject of future blog posts and the protagonist of campfire stories. You will be the punchline of jokes and the memories that warm my cold, black heart in future. I may forget your name, your face may one-day lack the youthfulness you possessed in room 639, but I will remember you, as a class. As a collective group of brilliant, funny, and somewhat aloof individuals, you will be remembered.
At the end of each year I usually read each of my classes a book. It’s a classic. Written by Dr. Seuss. He manages to say in a few pages, what I fail to communicate to you in an entire year. Even though I am unable to be there with you now, I wanted to make sure I got to read this to you.  You deserve it. I owe it to you, and you owe it to yourself to listen carefully, and quietly contemplate the meaning of the words. Also, I suggest getting this book yourself and revisiting it if you feel you are losing your way.

If the  video doesn't show up above, click here.


In all serious. I love you guys.
#wearenotfriendsbutiamheretosupportyou
#athleticsupporters < #academicsupporters

No comments:

Post a Comment